Tuesday 4 October 2016

3) SAMPLE: A NARRATIVE ESSAY

A NARRATIVE ESSAY

Write a story about a secondary school student that begins with these words:
                ‘I yelled at a man outside the school gate……..”


AN UNFORGETTABLE EVENING
THE PLOT
THE STORY
SETTING:
·         Time
·         Place
·         Characters

               I yelled at a man outside the school gate,“Oi! What do you think you are doing?” I shouted at him again. From about 50 metres away, I could see him trying to pry open a red Myvi parked outside the school gate. He was holding a long metal object. As he turned towards me, I could see that he was a middle aged man with grey hair and dark skin. He was wearing filthy looking shirts and pants. From far I could see that he had evil eyes.
RISING ACTION:
·         He came after me

               I was standing at the parking lot inside the school area. I quickly looked around and realised that no one else was around. I glanced at my watch and it showed 7.05 pm. My mind was telling me that other students must have gone home and that my brother was late again today. I frantically concluded that I was alone.
               I swiftly turned towards the man by the red Myvi. He wasn’t there. To my horror, I saw him running very fast near the school entrance and heading towards the opened gate. “Oh my God!” I exclaimed. He was coming towards me.
CONFLICT:
·         I looked for help

               My brain became chaotic. At the spur of the moment, I couldn’t think straight. “Get help, get help”, I murmured to myself. I ran towards the canteen but it was empty. Not a single soul was around. I was perspiring. “The guard”, I thought. I ran towards the guard post at the corner of the canteen. A security guard is normally stationed there at all times. As I was running, I saw that the guard's seat was empty. “Oh No.! What now?” I asked myself desperately. The office, my hope began to return.
CLIMAX:
·         He caught me and tried to kill me

               I had to run about 100 metres away to get to the office. It was getting dark. By now, I can hear the man’s laboured breathing behind me. He was getting close. I forced my legs to run faster. My heart was beating real fast. I must get help. My ‘baju kurung’ did not permit me to run freely. “Am I going to die today?” the nasty thought rushed to my mind.
                As I got in front of the school office, in the dim light I saw a big padlock in front of the office. “Help me, God!” I exclaimed in a mixture of frustration and hope. The parking lot, I thought. May be a teacher was still in his car. I dashed towards the parking lot. As I was turning to my right, I felt a strong big hand grabbed me by the collar and pulled me. I can smell the man’s bad body odour as he held me by my neck. He was strangling me with both his hands. I was suffocated and gasping for air.
RESOLUTION:
·         Saved by someone

               “Let go of her,” I heard out of nowhere. Almost instantly I heard a heavy blow landed on the man’s filthy face. I was pushed about 5 metres away. “Cikgu Azrul,” I screamed with a choked voice upon seeing my teacher’s face. At that moment, Cikgu Azrul gave another solid blow to the man’s face. The man fell to the ground and was unconscious. Like a skilled policeman, Cikgu Azrul held the man to the ground. Cikgu Azrul shouted at me, ”Get up and get a rope in my car.”
               Without thinking, I obeyed him. Cikgu Azrul tied the man’s hands and called the police. In just 15 minutes, the police came and took the man away. I thanked Cikgu Azrul. It turned out that he forgot his wallet at the office and he turned back to fetch it.

 (598 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment